Wednesday 13 October 2010

Overheating laptop

A couple of weeks ago I could reliably get my laptop to overheat by just running the bazaar unit tests.

By googling I found that it could help to clean out the fan,
so I opened it a bit but gave up because I didn't have time to open it up completely.

Recently it got much worse, I could not even open eclipse without having a household fan directed at my laptop.

I decided today is the day. I had to remove about 30 screws and the processing unit heat sinks to get at them little radiators. They were a bit filthy of coarse, but its all cleaned now. I had to file off 1mm of a 3mm flat screwdriver bit so that I can unscrew about 11 2mm hexagonal screws.. . One screw got lost somewhere, I hope its not stuck somewhere where it can cause problems - that must be what doctors think if they are missing something after performing surgery.

It seems much better now, the fan doesn't even come on so often any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment