Monday 11 May 2009

Bazaar on sourceforge.net

I've bean looking for a place to host a modular project which is being version controlled with Bazaar. I would have loved to use Launchpad, but I can't because of the following:
  1. Launchpad only allows one level of branches (no hierarchy). My project is made up of a lots of sub-projects: I have a main branch which controls the sub-projects as bzr-externals.
  2. Launchpad does not have a nice project wiki or any custom web content.

I saw that sourceforge.net now supports Bazaar, but I was a bit worried when I saw on their wiki that they only support Bazaar version 1.10 . It turns out that it is thankfully only an outdated doc:
[me@shell-21002 ~]$ bzr --version
Bazaar (bzr) 2.1.1
Python interpreter: /usr/bin/python 2.4.3
Python standard library: /usr/lib64/python2.4
Platform: Linux-2.6.18-...

(I don't seem to have rights to correct the wiki and I could not google the current version, so I'm documenting it here for you.)

I did test that I could upload nested branches. But unfortunately the code browsing tool on Sourceforge (loggerhead) does not display the nested branches :( Hopefully that is fixable..

4 comments:

  1. About support of nested branches in loggerhead, I filled a bug a long time ago (https://bugs.launchpad.net/loggerhead/+bug/311513) and even tried to fix it (https://code.launchpad.net/~zigarn/loggerhead/nested-branches)
    The support of nested branches is almost inexistent in all bzr tools...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Zigarn Thanks a lot for posting that, I might have looked into it a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Zigarn What is blocking your patch from being merged?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My patch was just a workaround for me at work and must be outdated now.
    It is not really efficient nor ergonomic.
    And the support of nested branches doesn't seem to be the priority even if it is a promoted layout in the bzr doc...

    ReplyDelete